SANTUARIO DI MADONNA DI AIUTO
The Sanctuary of Madonna d’Aiuto is a Catholic church dedicated to the Madonna. It is located near the bridge over the Corno stream, on its left bank, when arriving at Corno di Rosazzo from Cividale del Friuli on state road 356.
Legend has it that the simulacrum venerated in the church, a painted and gilded wooden Madonna and Child, was carried by the River Corno during a flood. According to one variant of the story, when the wooden statue was found on the riverbank, it was taken to the parish church. Since the statue was found again the next day on the river bank, in the same spot, the population decided to respect its wishes and erect a shrine in its honour.
The church houses the 17th-century wooden statue of the Madonna and Child, restored in 1898 by Luigi Piccini from Udine.From 15 August to 8 September, every year, the Perdòn, the vow of forgiveness of Madonna d’Aiuto (Our Lady of Help), is celebrated. In 1836 Corno di Rosazzo was spared the cholera epidemic that struck the entire region and continued to decimate the troops during the First World War. As the disease did not spread beyond the boundary of the little church, the community made a vow of thanksgiving for Corno’s miraculous prevention of the disease.
The first construction dates back to the 17th century, when the small church was built to house the wooden statue. Over time, the structure was frequently renovated, partly because of its location below road level, making it susceptible to river flooding. Most of the changes were due to the work of engineer Giuseppe Cabassi (owner of Villa Nachini Cabassi since 1817), who modified the style making it more neoclassical.The bell tower, incorporated into the north-eastern wall structure, dates back to 1914 and was completed in 1933.